Rheumatoid Arthritis is an inflammatory disorder and this can affect more than a person’s joint. It can happen to any person of any age. Your healthy tissue will start getting attacked by your immune system. In some people, rheumatoid arthritis can damage various body systems like the skin, eyes, lungs, heart, and blood vessels. It can cause stiffness and pain in the joints. We can say that it is an autoimmune disease.
An autoimmune disease means that your body’s immune system starts to attack its tissues. That is when a person develops rheumatoid arthritis knee symptoms. However, autoimmune disease is not the only cause of rheumatoid arthritis. Let’s take a look at the rheumatoid arthritis causes and symptoms.
Symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis in the knee:
The signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis may vary in severity from person to person. The signs and symptoms may even come and go. Rheumatoid arthritis knee symptoms are:
- Terrible pain in their knees which would cause the inability to walk. This pain can increase gradually and become worse if not treated.
- Swelling and redness in the knee area. Hard swelling is caused due to the formation of bone spurs and soft swelling is caused when fluids get collected around the knee joint.
- Locking of the knee especially during cold weather.
- Stiffness of the knee for being inactive or sitting for a very long time.
- The joints can make a popping or cracking sound when they are straightened or moved. A grinding feeling might be left while bending or straightening the knee
- It causes a poor range of motion. Due to the pain and swelling, walking or other activities might become very difficult.
- Rheumatoid arthritis causes deformities of the knee. The appearance of the knee will change due to the damage in the joint.
Other symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis include:
- Lack of energy and extreme tiredness.
- Patients might stop feeling hungry.
- Weight loss becomes very significant.
- High fever
- Dry mouth or dry eyes
- Numbness in the toes or fingers
- Chest pain
Causes of rheumatoid arthritis:
These causes can play a very important part in causing rheumatoid arthritis:
- Gender: Women have a higher chance of developing rheumatoid arthritis than men.
- Genetics: Your family history plays an important part in the development of rheumatoid arthritis. If a family member has this disease, your chance of developing it is higher than usual.
- Age: Rheumatoid arthritis can occur at any age but middle-aged people have a higher risk.
- Diet: If you eat a lot of meat and don’t consume the right amount of Vitamin C, the risk becomes higher
- Smoking: Smoking cigarettes increases the risk in a person.
- Weight: overweight people have a higher risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis.
These were rheumatoid arthritis causes and symptoms. Visit Dr Niraj Vora as he is an excellent rheumatoid arthritis specialist in Mumbai. Dr. Niraj Vora can help you to get rid of your arthritis as he is the top-recommended rheumatoid arthritis doctor in Mumbai