Knee Osteoarthritis in brief and its causes
The knee joint is protected by cartilage that cushions the ends of bones. The cartilage works as an anti-friction agent. It allows smooth movement of the joint. Over time, this cartilage begins to wear off. This condition leads to arthritis, in this case, known as osteoarthritis.
Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis which commonly occurs in the knees, hands, spine and hips. Apart from deteriorating the cartilage, osteoarthritis also leads to the breakdown of the tendon between the joint that attaches the bone to the muscle. The connective tissue around the joint is also damaged. It is followed by deadly pain, inflammation and swelling.
But in severe cases of osteoarthritis of the knee, a knee transplant may be the only cure, which is done by the process of knee replacement surgery.
Symptoms of knee osteoarthritis
People often take the disease lightly but it keeps worsening over time. Given below are the major symptoms of osteoarthritis in the knee joint
- The first symptom includes terrible pain in the entire knee area. The movement becomes restricted as the pain increases on even the slightest movement.
- Huge swelling is seen both in the knee area and the area nearby. This leads to tenderness of the joint.
- Joints that are meant for causing flexibility badly fail at their task. Complete loss of flexibility.
Treatment of knee osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis of the knee is treated with medication along with physical exercise. If the patient is obese, he is advised to lose weight. Exercise should be a mandatory part of daily routine. Physical exercise results in higher metabolism that not only reduces fat but also strengthens the joints and macules.
Simple exercises like stretching or simple yoga poses can greatly enhance joint movement. But excessive exercise might also result in increasing the pain, which is prevented by anti-inflammatory pills and painkillers.
Knee braces and how it works
There is a supporting tool known as the knee brace which is worn on the knee in case of osteoarthritis. It proves to be of great help for movement and easy walking as it shifts the weight of the affected area of the knee.
Knee braces come with multiple benefits.
- Your stability while walking or moving the leg in different directions for performing daily tasks becomes easier.
- Knee braces provide compression on the knee cap that helps in reducing the swelling.
- When the patient can do all his tasks like a normal being without asking for help, he tends to be more confident.
We just discussed knee braces and their benefits, but if there’s no improvement consulting a good knee specialist becomes necessary. Dr Neeraj Vora is a knee pain specialist in Mumbai. He has dealt with thousands of cases where the patient had lost all hopes but his knee surgery did wonders and today the same patients are living a happy life.
He is considered to be the best knee surgeon in Mumbai, his team provides 24*7 service. You can contact him whenever you feel doubtful about the treatment of your knee osteoarthritis. He has saved hundreds of athletic careers and given the best playing athletes to our country.